The Summer in the Garden

Friday, July 15, 2011

Life on the [Funny] Farm

I have been thinking of this blog all day. Yeah, I am a little obsessive sometimes...

Today was hot. It was hard. Yet, it definitely 'qualifies' for this blog. I spent the day with my children- all of it. I then, with great enthusiasm, encouraged them to go to bed. As I sit in the dusk of the day, I have to say, "I love the farm."

It is a busy life. It is hard work. But it is together and I like that. This morning, Jacie and I went to Physical Therapy for her. Unfortunately, she just got home camp last night and was completely exhausted, cranky and out of sorts- I should have just cancelled like I wanted to. So much for good intentions.

If we would have stayed home though, I would have missed the next stop and that would have been a shame. She and I went to the library to work on her summer reading program. I know many of you have not seen the list of requirements...wow. To complete this summer reading, one has to dedicate a lot of time and effort. The one being, of course, the mother. She enjoyed the arts and crafts that they had going- though I did not know about it and it pushed our arrival home back by an hour.

Then came the pig washing. No, you didn't read this wrong- pig washing. We have been told that you can train a pig. That has been our goal this year. I think that the people who told us that did so just so they could stand back and watch- laughing. I set about washing with the oldest boys. They were incredibly tired and grouchy but I knew that the time to do it had to be grabbed so onward we tread. I wish that you could have seen us. What a joke. Suffice it to say... we did not wash any pigs today. The good news? We lived through the experience. I really think there is a plot among pig people...

We have to clip the pigs soon. Wanna watch?

I wish I could say I was able to spend the rest of the day lounging in the weed patch. And I did in a different way, we spent the rest of the day working together mowing the lawn we do for hire. It was a weed patch of its own. That is exactly how our lives look. Busy, busy, busy. I washed loads of laundry and hung them out, folded other laundry, did dishes and made dinner.

Whew! I am exhausted just reading what I did today. But the evening found me sitting outside, blogging and enjoying the cooler air. The light of the sunset filtered through the trees, the dusk settled on the farm and I began to relax. There is nothing not to love about life on the farm. Nothing.

~CP

No comments:

Post a Comment